(keitai-l) Re: Clossing Walled Gardens and Java vs. NativeApplications

From: Jonas Petersson <zap_at_xms.se>
Date: 05/14/03
Jon Ellis wrote:
> Jonas Petersson wrote:
> > In theory, yes - this is exactly what Java was designed for.
> > In practice, the java currently available in most phones does not all=
ow
> > you to access phone book, camera etc so basically you can only use it=

> > for games.
> =

> I'm not sure i follow your reasoning. How do you see not
> being able to access phone book, camera, etc. limiting the
> use of Java to games?

Well, of course there are a number of things that may be useful
completely standalone, but any truly innovative application surely would
make use of some other aspect of the phone.

Oh, speaking of innovation, our Anoto based post card did win the "Mail
Oscar" for innovation:
http://www.mailawards.org/Awards/winners_2003.htm

> I posit that the reason that Java is mostly used for games
> is related more to user demand for advanced games than
> limitations of the midp/doja apis.

That may be true, but a truely advanced game that you play a lot is
likely to burn down you batteries faster through java interpretation
than natively and the native one would most likely execute faster and be
smaller. Since memory and battery are rather critical resources on a
phone I predict that any popular advanced game is likely to be native in
the long run.  (Simpler games may be OK and wherever you draw that line
is nonobvious.)

				/ Jonas
-- =

Jonas Petersson |  XMS Penvision  | mailto:Jonas.Petersson@xms.se
Box 3294, Holmbrogr=E4nd 1, S-600 03 Norrk=F6ping | http://www.xms.se/
Tel: +46 (0)11 244805 | Fax: +46 (0)11 244809