(keitai-l) Re: Clossing Walled Gardens and Java vs. NativeApplication

From: Oliver Wittchow <ow_at_nanoloop.com>
Date: 05/19/03
>>i feel like child beeing told "you're not old enough for these mature
>>> functions" or "we know you don't need buffering".
>

> Hardly likely. It's much more probably, "we didn't have the time to get
> all this stuff implemented in a way Java could use it."
>
> cjs

i just said i *feel* like that. the actual reason may rather be: "we
only took the time to implement a minimum of what we think that is
required for profitable applications".

APIs are not just restricted by security and the time factor but also
fully controlled by marketing: functions are very close to possible
applications and it's hardly possible to do something else than what was
intended. in case of audio for example they're optimized for game
sounds and karaoke while even a simple ringtone editor requires
some hacking (at least with DoJa 1.0).

most great software innovations could only happen because computers were
offering generic possibilities and allowed to create functionality which
was *not* originally intended by manufactorers.

of course one could see the restrictions as a challenge too, but i guess
java applications will always be somewhat boring - not because of
limitations in general but because they can only do what some marketing
people fould likely to be commercially interesting before.

i understand it must be like that with the japanese DRM model, also the
development just started and APIs may become more generic in the future.

i was just shocked when i discovered how different iappli development is
from what i know as "programming".

oliver