(keitai-l) Half-width text and buttons?

From: Jonathan Trevor <trevor_at_fxpal.com>
Date: 05/20/03
Hi,

We're developing an i-mode (chtml) UI and I'm seeing something which I
assume is to do with full-width and half-width characters.=20

We're returning pages written in aspx (asp.net) with the charset set to
shift_jis to various emulators and a couple of phones (not true i-mode
phones since they don't exist in the US). However, the real phone and
one emulator only shows half of the text of a submit button, or half of
some text before an input text tag (the tag starts halfway through the
text) for example.

It seems that all of the text is being rendered at twice the width being
allocated for it (or visa versa, it's only getting half with width it
needs to be rendered).

Can anyone point me towards a solution for this problem? I presume its
some encoding problem but changing the charset doesn't seem to solve
this problem and I'm at a loss concerning what to change next (we're
getting strange japanese characters instead of the emoji icons too).

(also, as a slight aside, has anyone found a good (accurate) i-mode
software emulator?)

Thanks
Jonathan