(keitai-l) Re: Half-width text and buttons?

From: Jonathan Trevor <trevor_at_fxpal.com>
Date: 05/21/03
Tom,

Good idea - unfortunately I'm not able to open up our firewall for a
live test (which actually may be critical as .NET may be doing something
odd with the encoding itself) but this is output with the problems (on
sprints PCS vision phones for example):

<!DOCTYPE "-//W3C//DTD Compact HTML 1.0 Draft//EN">
	<head>
charset=3Dshift_jis">
		<title>login</title>
	</head>
		<form method=3D"get" action=3D"Login.aspx">
			Username:<br>
			&#59106;<input istyle=3D"3" type=3Dtext
name=3DUsername value=3D"@some.com" accesskey=3D"1"/><br>
			Password:<br>
			&#59107;<input istyle=3D"3" type=3Dtext
name=3DPassword value=3D"" accesskey=3D"2"/><br>
			<input type=3D"submit" name=3D"login" value=3D"Login">
		</form>

The "Login" button shows "Log" (if I add 5 nbsp;s is looks ok) (with
apparently several spaces on the sprint phone) and the "username" and
"password" text gets truncated by 1/2 too if we remove the <br>'s

It all seems correct - and maybe it is! - but one emulator and one real
phone don't display it properly.

UPDATE: just tested the emulator (the ntt docomo 6.0 one) on another
machine and it does render ok on that one. Very odd. The one its *not*
working on is a US english 2000 machine, the other is a US english XP
machine. However, its strange that the sprint pcs phone renders at half
size too.

Maybe I'm getting concerned about something which isn't a "real" problem
for a final test on an actual i-mode phone - and I'm seeing wierdness in
the sprint pcs browser handling of chtml and win2k's
internationalization.

Jonathan