(keitai-l) Re: D505i

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 05/26/03
I can't see anything in these new phones that would actually make me want
to upgrade. It isn't just the money - I doubt I would want to carry one
even if they were free. They are too stonking heavy.

I have been chatting to a few salarymen - all of whom have oldish keitai.
What they, and I, want is something that does the job of being a portable
phone better - and is a LOT slimmer. Something the thickness of the
screen part of the p504i would be about right. Apart from a decent
address book with an intutive way to get to it, the most requested
feature was a decent built in  dictionary (xxxxx/Japanese,
Japanese/Japanese).

Built in? Damn right. The network is NOT the computer - and the keitai
network isn't even a decent network (no direct addressing of nodes for a
start). The latency, crappy html interface and COST of keeping a
dictionary off-phone make the whole idea lousy.

For a large, but quiet, and not heavily churning, class of users, the
direction the handset market is taking is utterly irrelevant to their
needs and interests. The changes they would like to see are all changes
that would not increase traffic over the network and thus present no
finacial benefit to the service provider.

I would be happy with a superslim phone that "docked" with something a
little larger that had additional functionality. Bluetooth communication
or direct communication between the two would both be ok - BUT the phone
bit HAS TO BE SLIM!!!

REALLY slim.

These new beasts may have lots of toys on them - but they are not better
telephones.

And for me, the killer app of my keitai is still its voice capability.

Nick