(keitai-l) Re: Usage triggers

From: Philip Sidel <psidel_at_iuj.ac.jp>
Date: 05/31/03
Johan,

Not sure if you're interested in this side of the equation or not, but
we're finding in our research, that the psychogical state of the actual
user is a critical driver in MobileNet usage.  For example, folks that
classify themselves as "Lonely" will have different usage patterns and
behaviors than those that classify themselves as "relaxed".

I'd recommend you look at sites like Xavel, and their Girlswalker magazine
(http://girlswalker.com/).  Although I've already posted this information
to this list, I'm extremely impressed by their business model.  They send
out a regular mail magazine (one of Jeff's triggers, I believe), but then
add the ability for individual users to make comments and resend out to the
subscribing population.  Ads are then attached to those self-created
messages, and the author is compensated by the number of people who
actually view thier posts and the attached ads.  So the trigger here is
self-expression....maybe a lot like this list...except in the mobile
space.  But the most popular (not necessarily the most prolific)
authors  actually get compensated for their popularity... Maybe we could
add this capability to this list....

Or, one of my other favorites is the game Botfighters
(http://www.botfighters.com/welcome/) that Howard Rheingold talked about in
his book Smart Mobs.  They use GPS to make mobile-based games more "real
life".  Very impressive, and to your point, it literally "pulls" players in.

Anyway, I firmly believe that it's the mental state of the individual user
that will create or respond to these triggers.  So paying closer attention
to these may be the way to really push ARPU.

--Philip