(keitai-l) J-SH53

From: Paul Hardy <pjh_at_bushcat.com>
Date: 05/31/03
This is aimed mainly at J-SH53 users.

I picked up the J-SH53 on the assumption that, with an SD slot, it's a
slightly more open phone than others on the market. Well, so far I like
what it does, and I'm impressed that the free cable kit includes an
optical coupler, so one can do a digital-to-digital download from a
music source.

But I can't find a way to put MP3 files on the SD card and have the
phone play them. As far as I can tell, the phone will only play files
that it has recorded directly. Have I missed something very obvious?

Adverts also seem to suggest that, since the schedule and other data can
be copied to the SD card (and run from the card (though not really, the
phone seems to get confused from time to time)), it's easier to
maintain, but I can't find any mention in the manual what the data may
be compatible with. It would have been nice if Sharp had provided a
utility to let one manipulate said data on a PC.

So we come back to my traditional cry of "Japanese cellphones will never
be true PIMs until software can reliably back up all data on the phones,
and at the least J-Phone can reliably move data from one phone to
another". What I want is an Intellisync-like conduit.

Quick ten-second review of the camera: the 1 megapixel camera is
actually pretty good for 1MP; the sound quality is better than my old
Toshiba but not as good as my ancient Denso. The primary display is
outstanding and the secondary display is barely adequate. The manual
suggests the maximum SD card size may be 64MB but I've used it with
256MB.