(keitai-l) Re: what kind of crack were the folks at KDDI smoking....

From: Jason Pollard <jasonpollard_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 06/10/03
the same stuff the NTT folks were smoking.  (musta been some good s**t)

I think you'll find that this will be just your first in a long line of
disappointments with mobile java programming.  Probably mainly due to device
limitations, but also purportedly for 'security' reasons, j2me apps are so
limited in their functionality that the best uses for them to date are single
user games such as pac-man or screensavers.  For example, you can't implement a
different ClassLoader, so that you could download classes (GUI screens or other
stuff) over the network.  And the various API's are variously implemented
across the various handsets.  The situation's slowly improving, what with 3d
animations, and now Flash support on some handsets.  I predict it'll be 3-5
years before we geeks/developers get what we want in a mobile device:  Full IP
connectivity, variable mode voice (VOWiFi or carrier network), regular J2SE
implementation, decent memory and flash storage, good battery life, and a full,
and hopefully standardized, API into the device's native functions such as
address book, lights, keys, cameras, audio, etc.

You may be able to work around your problem by making the persistent storage at
the Web server or beyond.  More network code, but what are you gonna do??

--jason