(keitai-l) Re: Faster adoption of 3 W-CDMA in Italy than DoCoMo FOMA in Japan

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 06/10/03
On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Giovanni Bertani wrote:

> Another dark point is that there is no content usage data
> available from 3 Italy.

Well, if you're talking about wireless web and so on, there probably
isn't much content usage. As someone else here pointed out, you need a
half million subscribers or so to keep a site up and running with a lot
of content, and the subscriber numbers just aren't there to make many
companies put in the effort. Docomo didn't have this problem with its 3G
because it had all of the i-Mode stuff available.

> PS: KDDI has been more successful than FOMA with cdma2000 x1
> but is this full 3G technology?

In the end, who cares? 3G was supposed to provide faster data (which
you get with CDMA 2000x1) new facilities (which it turns out nobody is
really using anyway), and lower costs for the operator. On this last
point, where KDDI loses on the call-minutes being more expensive, it
gains on not having spent a huge capital investment on an entirely new
network.

cjs