(keitai-l) Re: Usability on Japanese phones

From: Jonas Petersson <zap_at_xms.se>
Date: 06/15/03
Johan Bengtsson wrote:
> When I said that the 7650 was a joy to SMS on I was only comparing to
> the equivalents out there with 9 keys.

In that context I'd tend to agree that most modern Nokias are good - I
don't really think my 7650 is significantly better than my wife's old
3210, but they sure beat the sh*t out of the (Sony-)Ericsson phones I've
used.

> And I didn't compare to the
> old-school phones that didn't have any capabilities beyond speach and
> SMS.

Yup, my respons was perhaps slightly off the plain, short term
"usability" subject as I triggered on the *SYMBIAN* part of the
discussion, but in my ever so humble opinion, the speed and crash
frequency *IS* part of the long term usability. Perhaps most users that
have grown up in the Windows environment find it OK to reboot their
phones every second day and think that waiting 5+ seconds for a search
to finish, but an old geezer like me sure finds it ridiculous. =

For the record: The 9110 had (in 1998) just about ALL functionality that
the 9210 has except a few frills like colour and GMSdata faster than
14400. It even did WAP in the upgraded version. Sure, it didn't do
Word/Excel/PowerPoint/Video either, but what I've never seen the point
of them in the 9210 in the first place (it'd cost a fortune to download
these and there is no reasonable way to show them on a bigger screen).
In fact, the 9110 had a heap of FREE apps that either still not exists
in the Symbian world or suddenly is nonfree (for example telnet/ssh
client, tune composer, logo editer etc). I therefore trust that the 9110
isn't what you mean by "old-school" even though it is 5+ years.

				/ Jonas
-- =

Jonas Petersson |  XMS Penvision  | mailto:Jonas.Petersson@xms.se
Box 3294, Holmbrogr=E4nd 1, S-600 03 Norrk=F6ping | http://www.xms.se/
Tel: +46 (0)11 244805 | Fax: +46 (0)11 244809