(keitai-l) Re: Usability on Japanese phones

From: Dirk Rösler <dirkREMOVE_at_tkm.att.ne.jp>
Date: 06/16/03
As a related personal observation I found that Japanese consumers are
generally don't seem bothered by having to read manuals or having to
deal with technical details.

I was very surprised to see the manuals inside the box of my wife's
keitai, it must have had 200+ pages, and a "quick guide" of half the
size (both sort of A 5 sized).

As for the technical details I find it odd that consumers are not only
bothered with technical specs, they are even used as marketing
differentiators sometimes. Some examples:

- "packet charges" or the whole concept of packets and the number of
bytes in it with mobile phones
- hard disk size in the Sony Cocoon; just tell us how many hours we can
record
- hard disk car navigation systems; what do I care how you store the
data in it?

It may be exciting for the technophile, but I cannot imagine my mum
being able to make any sense out of this.

Dirk