(keitai-l) Java development tools/process in Japan

From: Stephen Cheng <scheng_at_clear.net.nz>
Date: 06/24/03
I am curious about Java (i-Appli and J2ME)application and games development
process and environment in Japan. Would anyone be able to point me to the right
direction for more info?

These are the kinds of information I am looking for:
1. What is the average development team size?
2. What are the most popular development tools (free or commercial) for i-Appli
development?
3. What are the most popular development tools (free or commercial) for J2ME
development?
4. Are the developers in Japan aware of what is happening outside Japan?
5. What size are development houses? I.e. is the market dominated by big well
established firms?
6. Do these development houses have a mainstream Japanese culture, or are they
more westernised?

I am trying to get an idea about how the Japanese players work, to see what
competitive advantages and disadvanrages a foreign firm has in this market.

Thanks,
Stephen Cheng