(keitai-l) Re: Forrester: WI-FI is going to crash

From: Debi Jones <djones_at_wireless-one.org>
Date: 06/25/03
Giovanni,

I must respectfully disagree with your assessment.  The discussion might be
a waste of your time given your view of the marketplace was only what you
personally consider useful at the present moment.  Wireless technologies
other than cellular networks and devices will affect your life and
communications, hopefully for the better.

It is interesting to me that at least 2 Europeans in this group feel that
Bluetooth has a rosy future.  That fact makes me want to look into the
European point of view with more depth.  Here's a different analyst's view
of how the public WLAN market will evolve.  Notice bullet number 2 and 3.

From InStat - MDR

The study also found that:
  a.. While it might be easy to summarily discount industries such as
manufacturing in favor of the more aggressive adopters such as
transportation, In-Stat/MDR believes vendors must not make this mistake. The
sheer size of companies in vertical markets such as manufacturing means
that, although overall penetration within the industry is lower compared to
others, the actual number of wireless WAN data subscribers is still actually
higher than other vertical market segments.

  b.. Most current wireless data implementations rely on the cellular
network, and often on private company networks, with lesser use of messaging
and other technologies. The study also showed high implementation of
wireless LANs in these companies, and it seems likely that these companies
also will be excellent prospects for public wireless LAN services in the
future.

  c.. While the research shows high usage of cellular phones as the wireless
access devices of choice today, end user companies are focusing more
attention on notebooks with wireless modems in the future.
If you'd like to read more of this article here's the link.
http://www.instat.com/press.asp?ID=670&sku=IN0301123WB

Of course, there could be differences in how wireless technologies are
deployed in the US versus Europe versus Asia.  Not an unimportant
consideration, btw.

...Debi