(keitai-l) Re: A5401CA and ezweb

From: Ken Chang <carigate_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 06/25/03
there are some factors that affect the access speed,

(1) first, CDMA is much slower than TDMA technologies, especially
PDC.  DoCoMo has been upgrading and fine tuning its network quite
freely because what they say become standard.

I think FOMA/UMTS is slower than cdma2000 for it doesn't use GPS
synchronization.  it's not speed but cheap data that FOMA offers.
(the 64 kb/s CSD is another issue.)

(2) most cdma2000 handsets use the baseband ARM microprocessor that
comes standard with Qualcomm chipset.  it's a good CPU, handy for
the handset manufacturers, but it also makes the decision difficult
to spend money on a second faster CPU.

(3) the Openwave UP.browser used in most cdma2000 handsets, IMHO,
is designed for elegance and small footprint than speed.  it's very
slow to render a Web page even from the handset memory.

(4) WAP is a more "systematic" system than i-mode.  i-mode lacks
a lot of things such as client authentication which will delay
transactions.  (well, authentication is not that needed for current
mobile phones)

(5) usually WAP gateways are much cheaper and slow while the DoCoMo
i-mode servers are way more expensive but ill designed so I guess
the speeds are not that different.