(keitai-l) Re: Wi-Fi

From: Benedict Evans <ben_at_ben-evans.com>
Date: 06/26/03
Forester are a bunch of publicity-seeking hucksters - that much everyone
can agree with (except perhaps the lurker from forester?)

But I'm conscious that I don't really known what it is that Debi
disagrees with. First, what everyone agrees with:

* Possible role or WLAN as a DSL competitor (remembering that trees
block the signal, so will work much better in some cities than others)
* Role for WLAN in laptop connectivity for business travellers
(personally, I think landlords and existing telcos will be the only ones
making money from this)
* Using WLAN for voice is pointless and impractical.

That leaves the general population, walking around with 'pocket screens'
- call them phones, PDAs or whatever. Personally, given the advance of
Symbian etc and QVGA phones, I think PDAs will be subsumed within the
'smartphone' category anyway.

How do these people use WLAN, and for what? What advantage does it
offer, at what cost? No-one has yet suggested anything that runs on such
a screen that needs more than 3G speeds. The speeds advantage of WLAN,
however much it is, is irrelevant, and invisible to the user of such a
device.

Hence the only reason to use WLAN is to save a few pence on a video
download by walking five minutes to the nearest hotspot (and that's
being very optimistic about how close the nearest hotspot will be).

With all due respect, Debi, my scepticism is not founded by ignorance,
but on doubts as to whether the theoretically possible growth of
hotspots will be matched by reality, and on whether hotspots will offer
anything to consumers to justify the effective abandonment of
spontaneity in their use of mobile services.

I'm not taking a binary position - I've no doubt that HMV will have WLAN
(or Bluetooth) music video download points, for example - I just think
the vision of WLAN crushing telcos is lunacy.

As regards 3G investment, to say that WLAN has affected 3G investment in
Europe or Japan is simply false. Those operators that have money
(Hutchison, Vodafone, TIM, TEM) are building 3G as fast as they can, the
only constraint being the availability of handsets. Those that do not
have money (mmO2, Orange, DT) are coming up with excuses, or lapsing
into late nineties gibberish about 'fixed-mobile integration' -
hahahaha.