(keitai-l) Re: Digigal Shoplifting

From: EGIS Tokyo <hoffmann_at_egis.co.jp>
Date: 07/03/03
Mika,

I find it funny too. On the other hand, some of the practices they describe
in the article are certainly a problem for publishers who live from selling
their print products (and are often doing poor already).

Its a difference (commercially) whether a girl takes a pictures at a bakery
store to send it to her boyfriend to decide which bread to buy (= potential
increased sales plus free promo for the bakery) or if a girl takes a picture
from a magazine page promoting a restaurant where she wants to go with her
hubby (the magazine publisher/book store has lost the potential sale of the
magazine copy).

Not too far in the future, book stores and convenience stores may charge
consumers some kind of a flat "all you can shoot" fee upon entering their
premises ;-) On the other side, bakery stores may give you a discount if you
send a nice picture of their merchandise to your friends ("Refer a friend
campaign").

Another trend I heard about last summer is that schoolgirls love to take
pictures of their favorite singer/band/celebrity from magazine pages (or
where ever they find them I guess) and then share the pic among friends by
email as their keitai wallpaper. One girl said this is one of her favorite
usages of the camera function on her phone, and also the main item she sends
to her friends by mobile email.

Now, isn't this similar to someone copying pictures from someone else's
website and putting them on their own site without paying anything and
without telling the owner? On the other side, in some creative areas maybe
copying and quoting other artists is not only allowed but also encouraged
within accepted rules (techno DJ culture?). After all, only the good ones
get copied ;-)

Generally, there is a blurry line between creative usage and quotation of
existing artistic achievements, and plagiates or "shoplifting" other
people's work. Of course, the best option is always to simply ask the
creator for permission to use their work. In most cases this works fine for
non-commercial usage at least.

Back to the girl with her bakery shop and the restaurant promo. She will
probably use both for private means only, and not try to resell those
pictures (or does somebody know of successful digital shoplifting with
mobile phone cameras for commecrial purposes?). Therefore, as the article
indicates, it might be difficult to restrict people from taking and using
pictures of the merchandise they see.

Andrea