(keitai-l) Re: KDDI, BREW and CP

From: dc <dc_at_gamelet.com>
Date: 07/06/03
on kddi pricing, my understanding is that for brew the split is kddi =
takes 20% whereas for java contents they take 9% (excluding bad debt - =
unlike docomo).
however, QCOM are in this equation taking part of the extra slice, not =
all kddi.

the basic motivation for kddi is that all the cdma phones basically use =
qcom chipsets, which seem to be specced lower than the configurations =
coming out for other networks here. hence java, side by side, looks much =
worse on kddi phones. brew being native cuts through this and looks =
better. You pay for it in dev cost and certification headaches.

however, i don't quite understand technically why kyocera or panasonic =
can't come up with a hardware configuration that includes the qc =
baseband part but similar capabilities to their docomo devices, eg app =
co-processor. QC announced recently they will provide the co-processor =
configuration but are cdma parts so much more complex to design a device =
around than PDC that the makers could not do it themselves?

/dc

//  > Is Kddi's take higher with BREW, is that their motivation for=20
//  not having a
//  > jvm on top of brew?
// =20
//  I can't say for sure, but it seems that the model won't follow=20
//  the US one. For=20
//  a starter, most probably no fee to receive the QUALCOMM stamp=20
//  (the BREW app=20
//  review by Q. people).
// =20
//  And I have heard nothing of a different pricing from various=20
//  meeting with KDDI=20
//  people. So I'm not too worried about that. It's more the added=20
//  dev cost !
// =20
//  > Any one use J2BRIDGE that lets Java developers run and test J2ME
//  > applications on BREW enabled platforms. It makes the=20
//  generation of MOD and
//  > MIF files seamless to Java developers and allows them to use the =
BREW
//  > Emulator and AppLoader to run and download Java applications to =
BREW
//  > devices????
//  No, but we will look into that. Thanks for the pointer.
// =20
//  Let's unite ! :|
// =20
//  Mathieu
// =20
// =20
//  This mail was sent to address dc@gamelet.com
//  Need archives? How to unsubscribe? =
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/=20
// =20