(keitai-l) Re: KDDI, BREW and CP

From: dc <dc_at_gamelet.com>
Date: 07/07/03
mark -

>     The carrier has the discretion to add an additional 25% to the base
> price of the application (e.g., you price your BREW app at Y500 per month,
> KDDI has the option of addition up to Y125 to the price of the app).  The
> carrier keeps the entirety this additional price.  In truth, they do not
> usually add a large amount to the total price, but they had the discretion
> to do so.

interesting info. is this part of the QC <> Carrier contract that QC
proposed, or just what a certain V carrier decided to do and top up the DAP?

> A more simple development process.  BREW application development specs are
> more standardized then J2ME - I know that in Japan, you know pretty much
> exactly what the minimum hardware/software design specs are going to
be (as
> they are tightly controlled by the carriers) but in other markets, they're
> frankly all over the map and call for a great deal of tweaking.  BREW apps
> are more standardized, which makes them somewhat more simple.

this is a possible benefit of supplying all the chips. QC are being both
intel and MS in the brew world. however, targeting just nokia series 40
gives a pretty consistent java environment, and more targets...
here in japan, there are three brew handsets we're working on which are
all quite different (tho admittedly mainly screensize than code diffs).

also for performance Brew game developers are usually writing directly
to memory (which you can do with brew at least) but this results in
losing a some of the portability, at least until each handset is played
with.

A benefit of brew is that all the handsets suport cable download, so you
can at least do development in a different country. OTA testing of games
for a GSM handset is rather tricky over here if you don't work near
yokosuka.

> [...]
> > however, QCOM are in this equation taking part of the extra slice, not =
> > all kddi.
> >
> > the basic motivation for kddi is that all the cdma phones basically
use =
> > qcom chipsets, which seem to be specced lower than the configurations =
> > coming out for other networks here. hence java, side by side, looks
much =
> > worse on kddi phones. brew being native cuts through this and looks =
> > better. You pay for it in dev cost and certification headaches.
> >
> > however, i don't quite understand technically why kyocera or panasonic =
> > can't come up with a hardware configuration that includes the qc =
> > baseband part but similar capabilities to their docomo devices, eg app =
> > co-processor. QC announced recently they will provide the co-processor =
> > configuration but are cdma parts so much more complex to design a
device =
> > around than PDC that the makers could not do it themselves?
> >
> > /dc
> >
> > //  > Is Kddi's take higher with BREW, is that their motivation for=20
> > //  not having a
> > //  > jvm on top of brew?
> > // =20
> > //  I can't say for sure, but it seems that the model won't follow=20
> > //  the US one. For=20
> > //  a starter, most probably no fee to receive the QUALCOMM stamp=20
> > //  (the BREW app=20
> > //  review by Q. people).
> > // =20
> > //  And I have heard nothing of a different pricing from various=20
> > //  meeting with KDDI=20
> > //  people. So I'm not too worried about that. It's more the added=20
> > //  dev cost !
> > // =20
> > //  > Any one use J2BRIDGE that lets Java developers run and test J2ME
> > //  > applications on BREW enabled platforms. It makes the=20
> > //  generation of MOD and
> > //  > MIF files seamless to Java developers and allows them to use the =
> > BREW
> > //  > Emulator and AppLoader to run and download Java applications to =
> > BREW
> > //  > devices????
> > //  No, but we will look into that. Thanks for the pointer.
> > // =20
> > //  Let's unite ! :|
> > // =20
> > //  Mathieu
> > // =20
> > // =20
> > //  This mail was sent to address dc@gamelet.com
> > //  Need archives? How to unsubscribe? =
> > http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/=20
> > // =20
> >

> > This mail was sent to address mark@consect.com
> >

> --
> Mark Frieser
> Consect
> +1 917 855 2669
>
> Join 300 High Level Wireless Executives for a day of networking, case
> studies and technology solutions at the Global Wireless Summit, Los
Angeles