(keitai-l) Re: KDDI, BREW and CP

From: Bill Volk <bvolk_at_teknikcorp.com>
Date: 07/07/03
Allen is pretty much correct.

I'll add the following:

1. To deploy a BREW app on the phone, you will need a different compiler
than the one delivered in the SDK, and that compiler will run about
$1500.  As with J2ME the emulator is really a simulator ... running on
the emulator is no proof of functionality on the phone.

2. There are different BREW versions out there (1.0, 1.1, 2.0) and there
does seem to be some incompatibility between them ... even with code
that doesn't use the new features.

3. I suspect that the BREW/Verizon networking code is more stable than
the J2ME stuff we are seeing.  Right now I'm seeing a "show stopper"
(HTTP networking) on the Nokia 3650/AT&T phone.

4. The architecture of BREW is 'interesting' ... it looks like this
started as C++ and then a decision was made to center development around
'C'.  So you wind up using a bunch of macros to call methods in the
kernel.  It's not the most readable code.

Bill Volk