(keitai-l) Re: OT?: Keitai camera image transfer (MMS/mail) throughput analysis?

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 07/12/03
Tom,

this is easy to answer: you just take the image size (in kbytes)
and devide by the data rate.

Data rates in Japan as well as image sizes vary a lot: between
about 9.6kb/s and 28.8kb/s for PDC, 64-128kb/s for PHS
and around 200kb/s for 3G. These are all nominal
top speeds, and actual speed is lower.

Image sizes also vary a lot in the range 4kb - 50kb,
AU's 3G network allows the sending of VGA images
(around 50kb), you can see some examples here:
http://www.eurotechnology.com/camera-phone/images.html

Transmission times are typically a few seconds depending
on the network congestion and other factors. You can
calculate nominal transmission times for the different
networks just be deviding image size by data rate.

Gerhard

Tom Ahlkvist Scharfeld wrote:
> Hi all,
> I hope this is not too off topic.  I'm trying to understand the
> throughput for mailing/transfering images from keitai cameras (i.e. time
> spend on phone, through air, in network, and back).  Has anyone seen
> such an analysis?
> Thanks
> -Tom

Gerhard Fasol, PhD                         Eurotechnology Japan K. K.
fasol_at_eurotechnology.com               http://www.eurotechnology.com/
Find us in "IBM developerWorks" and in "Chemical & Engineering News":
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/wireless/library/wi-elite8.html
http://pubs.acs.org/cen/topstory/8049/8049bus1.html