(keitai-l) Re: J-PHONE's J-SKY Service to Rebrand as Vodafone live!

From: James Santagata <jsanta_at_audiencetrax.com>
Date: 07/15/03
At 05:29 PM 7/15/03 +0900, you wrote:
>Juergen,
>
>Hi. I'm not so sure about the hit on customers.
>
>I guess the biggest impact might be on new subscribers who don't recognize
>the name but I bet many will quickly be put right by sales staff who will
>explain that it's the new name for J-Phone or J-Sky. That might be easy to
>see. Au and J-Phone had a virtually identical number of subscribers at the
>end of June and attracted an almost identical number of new users so
>changes going forward will be easy to see.

Whether there is a big impact on the customer base in terms of retention and
satisfaction will depend not only on how Jphone handles this transition
(throughout
all customer touchpoints and throughout the entire transition) but also how and
if Jphone competitors seek to aggressively exploit any of that customer
confusion/dissatisfaction with the transition to their advantage

If I were one of Jphone's competitors I would be seeding and exploiting
that uncertainty/
confusion for all that I could. For instance, a competitor could have
specials that lower
the switching cost for any Jphone customer to avoid "the
horror/frustrations" with this
"terrible" switchover. At the same time, a separate campaign could be run
by the competitor
that adds in enough uncertainty that a new potential Jphone subscriber
either changes
the preference and goes with KDDI or Docomo or holds off on the purchase.

-- James