(keitai-l) Re: Phone Suggestion for US Developer

From: Joseph Bowbeer <jozart_at_blarg.net>
Date: 07/20/03
Bill Volk writes:

> We are developing games and applications for J2ME phones in the US.
> We would like to purchase a good example of a "state of the art"
> Keitai phone (J2ME) that can be used in the USA with a GSM carrier.

Are any GSM phones sold in Japan?  (naive question)

I believe the GSM phones that currently have the largest screens and the
most performant Java VMs are the Nokia Series 60 (e.g. 3650) and the
SonyEricsson P800.  (Nokia Series 60 phones perform about as well as the
DoJa 504 phones.)

If I were choosing a GSM phone, though, I'd choose one of the smaller Nokia
Series 40 phones: 128x128 color screen, speedy Java VM, and seemingly dozens
of styles and features to choose from.  These are less useful for demos than
Series 60 but are more representative of what USA customers will have.

Note: Nokia Series 60 and Series 40 handsets top the list at jbenchmark.com

--
Joe Bowbeer