(keitai-l) Re: J-Phone 3G data service

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 07/20/03
Ken,

Interesting views. Some of what you write, I don't agree with.
For example:

 > i-mode started as an imitation of an American technology, UP/WAP
 > which, though not commercially successful, had been around for two
 > years over AMPS/CDPD networks when DoCoMo launched i-mode in 1999.

To say that i-mode started as an imitation of an American technology
is plain wrong in my view.

You forget that telecom systems have many layers (usually 7 or more),
not just the top layer (i.e. wap/html). On top of that are business
models, marketing and other non-technological aspects which are
just as important. I all works perfectly consumers (and you in your
email) can forget about all layers below the top layer.

Of course, DoCoMo did not invent all of mobile communications.
However, in 1999 when they started imode DoCoMo was the only
carrier I know of which had a mobile packet switched network.

Also you totally underestimate the creativity in inventions
DoCoMo put into the creation of the i-mode business models and
marketing. These are also very creative areas, which would have
killed i-mode if they had not been done right. These could not
be copied from anywhere, because there was no mobile internet
anywhere else in the world.

My friends at Unwired Planet/Phone.com showed me UP/WAP before
i-mode was born, but you know that this did not take off in any
major way. So why should DoCoMo copy something which does not
take off? Of course DoCoMo incorporated many state-of-the-art
information/technologies into i-mode + added a lot of new stuff.

Just my 2 cents/yen

Gerhard
Gerhard Fasol, PhD                         Eurotechnology Japan K. K.
fasol_at_eurotechnology.com               http://www.eurotechnology.com/
Find us in "IBM developerWorks" and in "Chemical & Engineering News":
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/wireless/library/wi-elite8.html
http://pubs.acs.org/cen/topstory/8049/8049bus1.html