(keitai-l) Re: Nokia 6650

From: <Martyn_Williams_at_idg.com>
Date: 07/23/03
Stephan

The last time I spoke to Vodafone they said that inbound roaming for
visitors coming to Japan is not yet available but it is coming. I am not
sure if it is a case of something that needs to be enabled on the network
or a hardware issue -- all of Vodafone Japan's handsets are SIM locked so
won't accept your card.

The eventual goal is to rent unlocked handsets at Narita for inbound
travellers and I guess, as WCMDA networks launch around the world, they
will also begin to support roamers with their own handsets.

As for the network, it is quite wide and growing -- most of Tokyo is
covered in theory -- although I don't have any first hand experience. I
couldn't find any coverage maps on the web site for the 3G service, only
PDC.

Martyn

                      "Stephan
                      Szarafinski"             To:       keitai-l@appelsiini.net
                      <keitai@imodi.com        cc:       (bcc: Martyn Williams/NEWS SERVICE/IDG)
                      >                        Subject:  (keitai-l) Nokia 6650

                      07/23/03 08:32
                      Please respond to
                      keitai-l

Hi,

Has anyone tried a Nokia 6650 in Tokyo?
Is there a large WCDMA network, or is it just available in some places?

Suppose I use a dutch Vodafone sim card, will this work?
Will the network support roaming?

It would be interesting to have a phone that works both in Japan and in
Europe.

Thanks,
Stephan

This mail was sent to address Martyn_Williams@idg.com