(keitai-l) Re: SMS vs email?

From: Ben Hutchings <ben_at_decadentplace.org.uk>
Date: 07/30/03
On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 01:56:11AM +0900, dc wrote:

> //  probably all Microsofts fault.  Some newer / more
> //  expensive GSM phones have email I think, but I'm not
> //  sure if it is integrated into the phone as nicely as
> //  in Japan.
>
> I assume its more like a desktop POP mail client - ie you have to poll your
> ISPs server at a set interval to see if you have email.
> This is done without using any kind of packet-lite signalling layer, so I
> imagine is very expensive.
> With the japan mobile email services this is transparent (ie like SMS mail
> magically arrives in your phone).
>
> can anyone confirm?

Some of them support IMAP.  Once an IMAP client has authenticated to a
server and selected a folder, the server will push notifications of
new mail.

Usually, though, they'll be using the technical dead-end that is POP3
- insecure, inefficient and totally unsuited to anything other than
the desktop computer with modem that it was designed for.

--
Ben Hutchings
73.46% of all statistics are made up.