(keitai-l) Re: SMS vs email?

From: J. David Beutel <jdb_at_getsu.com>
Date: 07/31/03
On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, dc wrote:

> I assume its more like a desktop POP mail client - ie you have to poll your
> ISPs server at a set interval to see if you have email.
> This is done without using any kind of packet-lite signalling layer, so I
> imagine is very expensive.
> With the japan mobile email services this is transparent (ie like SMS mail
> magically arrives in your phone).
>
> can anyone confirm?

My first keitai here (Docomo's Dialo) was unusual in that it allowed you
to dial-up your own ISP and POP email (or web surf).  But circuit
switching is expensive, because the meter is running even when you're not
exchanging data.  And polling is inconvenient.

So my next two keitai were more typical, now:  data uses packet switching
to the keitai provider instead of an ISP.  Email is for the keitai
provider account only, but with asynchronous new mail notices including
all the bells and whistles, like vibe, picture, and sound depending on the
sender or sender's group in my address book.

I wonder if it's using an IMAP protocol, since I get to choose and
download attachments separately, but on the other hand, my keitai
downloads and locally stores all the text for all the email
unconditionally.

11011011