(keitai-l) Re: Foma now more than 500.000 users

From: Benedict Evans <ben_at_ben-evans.com>
Date: 08/04/03
Without getting into a religious GSM v. CDMA argument, the Koreans have
been complaining for some time that they felt they backed the wrong
horse. Issues include:

* Being dependant on a single company for technology
* Qualcomm being - how can I put this - 'difficult' to work with
* Scale economies of going with the global standard
* Being able to export to the global GSM/WCDMA market - just look at
Samsung flooding the GSM market in advance of 3G

There's a lot of industrial policy at play here.

I'm curious as to why au hasn't tried to migrate the tu-ka subscribers
onto the au network. Any ideas? Why not pool the spectrum and customer
bases?