(keitai-l) Re: keitai email address length

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 08/04/03
On Tuesday, August 5, 2003, at 12:35 AM, keitai-l@appelsiini.net wrote:

> May I suggest using the "variable character" type? :)

sure,

but that doesn't help much if...

1) the permitted length of the email exceeds 256bytes...

2) we want to  format it nicely for output to a printer....

3) we want to use non-variable length fields for the (alleged) speed
boost that it gives in mysql... (if the whole table is fixed length
fields.)

4) we want to use a max length value as an additional sanity check on
an address

As I said, nothing much hangs on it, but it is nice to  know. In
general I think one should ALWAYS know what the upper size limit of
sane input data is, on general principles, regardless of the elasticity
of one's storage...

Nick