(keitai-l) Re: keitai email address length

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 08/05/03
On Tuesday, August 5, 2003, at 10:49 AM, keitai-l@appelsiini.net wrote:

> Best if you use a VARCHAR rather than a CHAR field, then. That's
> variable length,

Thank you very much to everyone who has responded to this thread.

... can I assure the list that I am indeed aware of the varchar field
type - indeed, I have been aware of it since before some list members
were BORN! (or hatched, or however it was keitai-l members were brought
into this vale of sulpherous dragon tears...)

... my original question - which I began to regret some time ago -
wasn't  "which database field type do I specify". Nor "what value do I
specify" - though I GRACIOUSLY acknowledge those responses that have
advised me on the matter....

... it was simply "what is the maximum allowable length of a legal
keitai email address...."

... that is the number I want to plonk, for aesthetic reasons if no
other, into my database spec... call it whimsy if you will.... Of
course I can always plonk in big, bad old "255" - but I learned to code
on machines where 255 bytes was 1/4 of all memory and it just doesn't
seem RIGHT to be so slovenly, even though it matters not a jot.... Even
though it saves no memory it is still a good habit of mind to allocate
no more resources than you need...

Am I alone in finding this a subject of mild  - very mild, I grant -
curiosity?

Am I alone in just occasionally sanity checking for length as well as
other aspects of the validity of data?

Nick

(who - just to make himself absolutely clear, knows all about varchar
fields. Did he mention that earlier? No? Allow him to say it again
now...)