(keitai-l) Long shot, but is short messaging a thousand years old?

From: Juergen Specht <js_at_nooper.com>
Date: 08/10/03
I just finished to read "The Pillow Book of Sei Shonagon":
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0231073372/104-8612275-9004758?v=glance

As I mentioned before in this list, the book reads like the very first
Japanese blog I came across...and you have to acknowledge that this
book was written about around 980 or so, makes it more than a thousand
years old.

Sei Shonagon served as "lady in waiting" (A lady of a court appointed
to serve or attend a queen, princess, or royal duchess) to the empress
and wrote down stories of her daily life, observations etc.
Very interesting to read.

But what does this have to do with Keitai-L?

Hm, this is maybe a long shot, but pretty much everybody at this time
and with enough status/money/education at hand permanently exchanged
"short messages" with each other.

Basically the book is full of descriptions that somebody writes a
short message, often a poem, and sends it via messenger to his
friends/lovers/acquaintances and waits for a reply. It seems like it
was a fashion to send more short messages than long letters and
always a quick reply was expected.

What else do I know about Japanese history, but this all sounds that
some things never really changed...short (Keitai) messages (eg: email)
via messenger (eg: ISP/mobile ISP) awaiting a quick reply are a
commonplace these days.

So does it mean that this was predictable from Japanese history or
am I very much off with this? :)

Juergen
--
Juergen Specht, CTO, Nooper.com - Mobile Services Inc., Tokyo, Japan
i-mode & FOMA consulting, development, testing:  http://nooper.co.jp