(keitai-l) Re: Location Based Services ?

From: Ken Chang <carigate_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 08/30/03
hi Curt,

cell size is an issue, especially in suburbs where there are less
signs/directions to locate yourself as in the town.

you connect to the antenna of the strongest signal which is not
necessarily the nearest one.  in downtown areas where cell sizes are
smaller the radio environment is very complex and the networks are
busy especially around train stations.  these increases the chances
you get connected to a distant cell.

if we can expect accuracy of one kilometer, then it's really good
enough for J-Phone's local weather information service.

regardless of the talks we had already, why DoCoMo need PHS and GPS
to make DLP usable?  and still fails to convince the customers?

fairly speaking, au/KDDI's LBS is also below expectations.  it's not
easy to develop the LBS market in Japan, even you have GPS.