(keitai-l) Re: Creating new DoJa UI Components

From: Reto Grob <rgrob_at_klab.org>
Date: 09/18/03
Hi Sam, Jason,

> Best to stick to the public API's, because on each device that paint() method could be
> something else.

Right.

> I think I went thru this same thing about a year and a half ago.  After giving
> up on making my own components

KLab once did Neopanel. It is the panels drawn more nicely on the canvas
and you can of course extend them.
In MIDP 2.0 you already have the Custom Component which you can extend.
I believe, currently the implementation of that was not worthwhile in
Doja, so they did not put it into it yet. But I would guess that they
will do it in future.

> My guess is that J2ME isn't long for this world, and that we'll have a standard
> J2SE JVM on most devices within 3 years that would maybe have a limited UI
> toolkit.

I also believe that a mobile phone optimized J2SE VM is technically
possible. Especially if you hear that Samsung is doing 533MHZ mobile
phone cpus and play Namco's Ridge Racer PS quality (the polygon
rendering is sometimes a bit too optimized but the next 3D hw engine
version will fix that I guess ;)

Cheers,
Reto