(keitai-l) Re: SIM and J2ME

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 09/24/03
On the other hand, phones in Japan now come with up to 128Mbyte
removable storage media + a lot of built in memory.
What's the point of having the phone book (and your picture album,
and your other personal data) on a central server when you have
128++ Mbyte storage in your handset here and now with no
latency and no connection problems?

Central servers are for things like airplane reservation systems,
corporate data, weather forecast etc.

I think "thin phones" will go the way of the "network computer",
you remember the hype, that PCs will be replaced by thin clients,
and all computing will be on central servers...

Gerhard