(keitai-l) LBS Reprised (Location Based Services)

From: Chas Sweeting <charlie_at_skinnyhippo.com>
Date: 09/26/03
First of all, thank you very much to everybody who helped me
with information regarding LBS in Japan, a couple of weeks
back.  My sincere apologies for not following-up earlier, not
through ingratitude I assure you but rather because I've been
swamped in so much information and data that it's really taken
a while to collate it into something meaningful.  In fact,
finding that it is too much information for a single article,
I may be pushing this for a chapter within a wireless book.

Thanks to Ken Chang for the many URLs which looked exciting
but, alas, my kanji/kana never were any good and 10 years
after leaving Japan, are now at the primary school level (if that).

Anyway, a summary based on the comments from everybody who
chipped in (thanks again and sorry for not naming everybody
here) and a couple of follow-up comments:

1. KDDI Service
   ------------
   "KDDI has had a GPS service for about 1 1/3 years now on its AU
    service for 3G phones."
   "Not all AU phones have GPS.  It's one of a few major features
    that AU promotes in its marketing literature, along with features
    like camera, movie-player, Java, Brew, and high bandwidth."
   "[Applications include] (ez-navigation) train route planning
    service and the ability to brand photographs with GPS information"

   Q: A complaint seems to be that it's quite slow (are we talking
      minutes here?) which is inherent in GPS systems.
      Doesn't the GPS line-of-sight issue mean that you don't get any
      positioning information in subways or buildings ?
      Any plans for A-GPS ?

2. DoCoMo/J-Phone
   --------------
   "DoCoMo and J-Phone use PDC cell id."
   "DoCoMo also has DLP (DoCoMo location platform) based on GPS but
    has no network support and is more expensive and far less popular."
   "the response time is an issue, but accuracy is much more important.
    cell id won't reliably tell you the nearest station because it can
    easily have error of kilometers and give you wrong directions. "

  Q: Surely there is very little latency in Cell-ID locationing ?
     eg. 1-2 seconds ?

  Q: The upside of cell-ID is that it relies no handset modifications
     and can accomodate all legacy handsets. Does this not mean that
     absolutely every DoCoMo customer can use location based services
     now ? (or is it offered as an add-on, premium ?)

  Q: Are we talking straight cell ID ? Can't they use Cell-ID + sector ?
     Or even Cell-ID + Timing Advance or Signal Strength information
     to narrow down the location a bit more ?
     Also, shouldn't the cells in urban areas be extremely small (in
     the region of 500m) ?

3. Services & Developers
   ---------------------
   "LBS services incldue mapping/directions, games, shopping".
   "... found i-area to be pretty useful; it generally saves me
    going through two or three pages to choose my location when
    I'm looking up something based on location".

  Q: Can third party developers build LBS applications ?
     ie. is there an API ?

  Q: If so, just how is triggering (push) going to work ?
     eg. taking the infamous 'coffee coupon' example (which
         I don't necessarily think is a good idea, btw) :
         you're walking down the street, pass within 50m
         of a Starbucks and wham, you get a coffee coupon
         flash on your phone.
      Isn't this a huge waste of computing resources since
      you need to track the location of every single phone
      and check if it triggers any proximity apps ?

  Q: Location-based billing
     Would operators really be interested in offering, say,
     reduced/cheaper calls to parties who are within a certain
     distance of each other ?

  Q: How are privacy issues being dealt with, if at all ?

4. The Business
   ------------
   "Talking about the market, "useful" is same as "popular/usage".
   though I don't have statistics at hand, DoCoMo and J-Phone's LBSS
   traffic are very low."

   Q: I don't suppose anybody does have any figures they could share
      on this ? I tried NTT DoCoMo myself, but they were unsurprisingly
      reluctant to share anything ...

   Q: Is there any legislation expected (as in the US's E911) to
      force location positioning on emergency calls in Japan ?

Sorry for so many additional questions - thank you again for all
your help,

Chas