(keitai-l) Re: GPRS billing hack

From: Dirk Rösler <lists2003_at_unicircuits.com>
Date: 10/03/03
At this level of detail, this doesn't make sense at all.

If they have "penetrated the billing system", why do they have to rack
up charges? Just bill anything you like to the customer. Or skip this
step with the customer and insert charges to be paid to an external SP,
basically manipulating the clearing between network operator and
content/whatever provider.

How can you cause cramming just by knowing a destination IP (unless
packet charges)?

Why the log on and ping wizardry? They'll have a netblock and once you
know it, you know it.

How can you "provide services" just by knowing destination IP?

Why investing tens of thousands of dollars in a solution, when all you
have to do is prevent inbound connections at the gateway? And fix the
vulnerability  that inbound connections can have such a big effect (if
true)... And get some IDS.... aargh.

I would not take it serious unless more facts are provided. Looks like
someone is trying to get some headlines.

Dirk