(keitai-l) Re: Is KDDI 3G (10 milion users) winning over DoCoMo Foma?

From: Giovanni Bertani <giovanni.bertani_at_exsense.com>
Date: 10/07/03
> high speed data as a replacement for the entire existing cellular
> network with more capacity and lower operating costs. There happen to
> be
> 'new' things you can do with it (video calls, laptop connectivity), but
> those are more important for the marketing guys than the bottom line.
> Remember, when airliners replaced steamships, they still carried
> passengers.
>

> Hence, DoCoMo, who have horrible capacity problems, NEED 3G regardless
> of any data applications.

Hi Benedict

Yes there is too much hype on the maximum bandwidth available on a
single
terminal and not enough understanding of the bigger picture. And what
you
underline is very important.

I can agree with you but I haven't see Foma solving these capacity
problems
in the short or medium term but introducing different ones. I think the
error was
that they wanted to introduce a full 3g network when the technology was
not ready yet.

Again I do not understand why you should use your customers for a beta
testing.
QOS was incredibly bad even if coverage was limited in the centre of
Tokyo.

Was this a move to support Ntt DoCoMo in the international stock
markets?
To give more visibility as an innovator in a time when Ntt DoCoMo was,
at that
time, behind in real-world innovation (Camera phones etc)?

So I really prefer the EU operators approach. Do not rush to sell
something is not
working and so useless.

Steamships were replaced when different technologies were becoming
dependable.

I think we could learn a lot from the Foma experience.

Giovanni

giovanni bertani   mobile vas consultant and analyst
exsense italy