(keitai-l) Re: mobile research - paid and unpaid

From: Howard Andrew Gutowitz <hag_at_eatoni.com>
Date: 10/07/03
[To the rest of the list: I know I've mentioned
this article on this list before, but I certainly
would be interested in any discussion about search
engines vs. menus in m-commerce which this might
stimulate...]

Hi Helen,

You may be interested in
Barriers to Adoption of Dictionary-Based Text-Entry Methods: A Field Study
from http://www.eatoni.com/research/index.html

Depends on whether you're just interested in actual payments, or
the process that would lead someone to want to pay for something in
the first place.

It's relevant at least to the extent that for m-commerce apps be
valuable to a consumer, they need to be able to easily search for and specify
what they want to buy (or read or listen to). There are two main
ways to let the user find what they want: text-based search engines,
or menus. Menus are useless if the number of possible things to select
from is at all large or the set of things is variable. For text-based
search, you need to be able to type in the name of the thing you want.
Typically that name is not a word in a dictionary (e.g. beyonce, muggle), so the
dictionary-based text entry methods don't help them. This puts up
a barrier to mobile payment since no payment happens if the consumer
has to work too hard to find something they want to buy!

HTH,

hag

Howard Andrew Gutowitz
CEO, Eatoni Ergonomics, Inc.