(keitai-l) Do MNOs in Japan provide usable data on device features penetration in Japan?

From: Jan Michael Hess <jan_at_mobileeconomy.de>
Date: 10/08/03
Dear fellow keiai lovers,

preparing the recommendations to German players
we will give during our Mobile Kaizen in Japan
seminar - and with frequent questions from developers
in Germany adding to this info need - I would like to
ask you the following question:

- Do MNOs in Japan provide usable data on
  device features penetration in Japan?

-> Knowing how many phones are out there
   with Java (different versions), 3D,
   advanced audio capabilities, cameras,
   other OS (e.g. Symbian), GPS, BREW etc.
   is very important data for developers
   to plan when do develop which product
   versions for which devices.

In Germany, this data is not provided (yet)
by MNOs as part of their developer programmes
to motivate and support small and big
companies developing new mobile apps and
trying to come up with realistic business
plans at the same time.

What is your experience in Japan?

Can MNOs and handset companies in Europe
learn from an open information policy in
Japan or is it equally closed as in Germany?

As you can imagine our goal with the
Mobile Kaizen initiative is coming up
with good ideas on how to make people
continously improve their activities