(keitai-l) Re: Mobile Alliance

From: Tom Hume <tom_at_futureplatforms.com>
Date: 10/09/03
On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 11:30, Curt Sampson wrote:

> It doesn't. However, testing on handsets is extremely expensive, so
> you want to minimize the amount of such testing you have to do. Even
> testing on an emulator is expensive, if a human has to operate it.
> Thus, testing things like site flow and operation, except for a bit of
> sanity checking, is best done with an automated test suite built with
> tools that do things like emulate web browsers. If your language is
> similar enough to HTML (as CHTML is), there are a lot of existing tools
> available to help you out with this sort of thing. If you're using WML,
> you have to put a lot of work into writing your own, or live without.

Right; now we're down to the practicalities of different territories.
Here in the UK, WAP is what is available on handsets: so we don't have
the option of using HTML-based tools to test services.

> I work in an environment where it's not particularly unusual for me to
> do several production releases in the course of a single day. If we
> didn't very broad automated test coverage, we could never do this.

Sounds very sensible to me. There are test tools available for WAP (the
smart chaps at www.yospace.com produce one such beast)...

--
Future Platforms Ltd.
www.futureplatforms.com