(keitai-l) Re: Is KDDI 3G (10 milion users) winning over DoCoMo Foma?

From: Nik Frengle <eseller_at_eimode.com>
Date: 10/09/03
From a service standpoint, ezWeb is a nightmare: It is difficult to
navigate, has weird, and un-weblike interfaces that confuse those of us
raised on i-mode and J-Sky, and really has little to recommend it.
Perhaps you are talking about radio technology?  Who cares?  Customers
don't.  And even if you do care, why is CDMA 2000 1X superior?  Perhaps
for more sparsely populated countries like the U.S., there are some
advantages, but the greater bandwidth of WCDMA seems to make more sense
in Japan.  In either case, if a PDC operator wanted to upgrade their
network to 3G they would have to spend money to do it.  WCDMA was
less-tested than 1X, but it also offers much better capacity. Take your
pick.  The carriers here in Japan, as well as Europe, clearly have made
their choice for WCDMA. The fact is that all of the users that buy onto
to that system will be able to do what Europeans and other using GSM
have been able to do for quite some time--seamlessly roam throughout the
world, with a few exceptions in South America and Korea. The fact that
users 'can't' send big picture mails has nothing to do with the network,
and in any case is changing.
So, you have a system with a better long-term customer proposition in
terms of being able to use it anywhere, and a better carrier proposition
in terms of bandwidth needs.  There are probably some arguments which
describe why CDMA 2000 1X is a better proposition, and I am sure you
will make those arguments in your typically partisan fashion.  Which
just goes to show that nothing is as black and white as your previous
posting painted it.
Best,
Nik Frengle

DoCoMo Foma?

> I think FOMA will catch up quickly next year and Vodafone/J-Phone will
> also have a difficult time competing with FOMA.
>
> but that will not change the facts that cdma2000 is by far a better
> system than UMTS.  on the service side, FOMA can send photos of
> no more than 10,000 bytes today.  would you call that 3G or 2G?
>
> they may come out with some new handsets next year but FOMA won't be
> able to provide good data service because it's mostly the old i-mode.
> and will continue to be trailing the competitors as in 2.5G.
>
> the brilliant 505i phones (still DoCoMo lost to au/KDDI in attracting
> new subscribers in the last 6 months) actually amplified the DoCoMo's
> problem: the unbalance between the state of the art terminals (well,
> not as good as J-SH53) and the obsolete ill-designed network services.

> ---

---