(keitai-l) Re: Mobile Alliance

From: Tom Hume <tom_at_futureplatforms.com>
Date: 10/09/03
On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 16:36, Nik Frengle wrote:

> However, having an almost-standard markup language, which allows you to
> use all of the tools you are used to using, including an http server,
> Netscape or IE for viewing, your favorite text editor, with it's dandy
> HTML highlighting and colors, and so on, makes developing for such a
> service more accessible.

You can do all the above (bar previewing in Netscape/IE) with WAP. Free
tools let you do the previewing.

> Add that to an open system that allows users to
> freely access any content, a very good and wide-open development guide
> that clearly explains the markup, the possible rewards of being able to
> SELL your content if it is just good enough to pass a rather rigorous
> but apparently fair examination, and you have a very developer-friendly
> system. i-mode is that.  As is J-Sky (sorry, V Live).

Not just I-mode or Vodafone live!. We have clients clients are selling
content through other European operators using WAP too.

Anyway, my aim isn't to start a "WAP vs I-mode" battle here; I think the
overall superiority of DoCoMo's approach with I-mode is apparent from
the way that Vodafone live! have practically cloned it (revenue share
%ages aside).

The only point I'm making is that there's much more to a mobile service
than the markup language.

--
Future Platforms Ltd.
www.futureplatforms.com