(keitai-l) AW: Re: The end of the J-Phone brand

From: Sven Kilian <sven_at_kilian-nakamura.com>
Date: 10/15/03
Hi Curt,

I think the only reason that NTT DoCoMo is so "successful" is due to the
fact that they used to have a quasi monopoly on telecommunications (and used
to be government-owned?).

Thus they have had first very good ressources to build up the infrastructure
at an early time and become kind of first-market winners, and secondly they
did not need to do anything to build up their name and brand in order to
retain customers. And thats the only reason that the i-mode service is so
successful as well. I mean: its not so difficult to have large numbers of
i-mode subscribers when you bound the process of writing mails (the most
popular feature we are still seeing on mobile phones) to the subscription of
the i-mode service, right???

It was really fun to see how everybody got crazy overseas at the large
numbers of people in Japan "constantly surfing the www on their mobile
Phones and playing Games against each other in the subways".

I don't want to smaller the great achievements and the success of the Mobile
Market in japan...its absolutely stunning and the world can learn from it,
but there is a lot of hype around it, especially with NTT DoCoMo. A lot of
great services and applications NTT DoCoMo just copied from their
competitors J-Phone and AU. That was the case with the camera phone, the
latest 2D code technology and many others.

In Germany, for example, there is the former government-owned "Telekom".
They are really horrible, they are arrogant, their service sucks, they are
lame and they have tried to maintain their superiority as long as possible,
obstacling other telecoms from making business. Nevertheless, they have,
until today (now completely privatized) maintained their No. 1 position on
the local market in many fields. The majority of ADSL subscribers for
example goes through them. The only reason for this is their name and size.
if you ask some "normal" people at random you will often get the impression
that ADSL is actually TDSL (which is the name they gave it). people refer to
it as TDSL.

Sorry for the short novel;-)

Sven