(keitai-l) Re: Phones with built-in TV

From: Philip Sidel <psidel_at_iuj.ac.jp>
Date: 10/20/03
We haven't broken down the numbers based on "killing time" vs. "Not" yet,
but the indication is that this varies on the individual level of how
someone perceives their phone and it's capabilities.  More specifically on
this in the next few months.

But I would say that at least from the consumer behaviors we're currently
seeing in Japan (i.e. staring at the small screen of your phone for
extended periods of time) the current practice required for watching tv on
a phone already exist.  I'm not sure that with an Analog tuner networks
could actually charge for the practice of viewing....  But I believe this
will herald in a new opportunity for truly Interactive TV.  Or at least
merge the Internet and TV broadcasts a little bit closer.  With people
watching TV on their phones, even if the networks can't charge fees, there
may be that many more ways of driving overall data traffic through
companion sites, blogs, increased email traffic ("hey, check out what Eiko
is wearing right now") etc...

I'm still a little unclear on this, as I don't have usage data to look at,
but my personal opinion is that this is an amazing advancement.  Because
it's all personal opinions now though, I'd love to hear what folks from the
development side have to say about this.... Are there now ways to create
games that directly interact with live TV?  Or are there other ways to
merge communications, content and live broadcasts together somehow?

I think the possibilities go far beyond the existing model of simply
watching TV.  I'd love to get other opinions on this though.

--Philip