(keitai-l) Re: port of i-mode to other cultures

From: Jonas Petersson <zap_at_xms.se>
Date: 11/02/03
Curt Sampson wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 wbc@tkk.att.ne.jp wrote:
>>[...]
>>and the eperience is very poor when compared with a PC or possibly
>>with a PDA.
>
> Actually, in some cases, the experience is utterly fantastic compared to
> a PC. [...]
> As for the PDAs, well, I've used both them and keitai to browse the web,
> and the keitai has advantages as well as disadvantages. For example,
> typically the keitai is faster for small tasks because you just whip it
> out and browse. With a PDA you generally have to set up a PPP connection
> via a wireless modem, which eats thirty seconds right there. And of
> course with a PDA you don't have "instant" e-mail: instead of just
> getting a buzz the moment it arrives in your inbox, you have to set up
> that Internet connection and do a POP mail check. That's pretty useless
> for things like sever-down alerts.

Basically agreed on most of what is said, except that in reality there
are (usually) two more options around that help the above mentioned
problems in the non-keitai world:

* GPRS will let you get rid of the 30 second wait if you consider that a
problem.

* SMS will easily do the alert bit (and you can bypass the 160 char
limit by chaining if you insist).

IMHO, the remaining issues are money related as in how much the base
services cost (typically a bit too much) and how to do smooth micro
payment for the extras. With IMAP+SMS notification, ssh and a web
browser in my phone/PDA I feel that there is very little more I need in
remote functionality. Local functionality, such as camera, bluetooth,
calendar, look&feel etc is hardly interesting to compare in my opinion.

			/ Jonas
--
Jonas Petersson  |  XMS Penvision  |  mailto:Jonas.Petersson@xms.se
Box 3294, Västgötegatan 13, S-600 03 Norrköping | http://www.xms.se/