(keitai-l) Re: SPAM on mobile networks still an issue ?

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 11/04/03
On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Arjen van Blokland wrote:

> Docomo is still not taking all necessary actions to avoid spam.

That is true.

> E.g. I can send email from my PC with the sender set at xxx@docomo.ne.jp.

As well as blocking spam, it would also block legitimate e-mail. There's
no reason the owner of foo@docomo.ne.jp should not be able to send a
message from his computer and get a reply to his phone. I don't know
how many people are actually taking advantage of this for legitimate
purposes, though.

> Most of the i-mode users trust the docomo.ne.jp domain and do not
> want to put this on a black domain list.

It would be nice if it were possible to say that you wanted to block
certain addresses if they came via the Internet gateway only, and not
if it was actually sent from a phone.

It would be interesting to know just what Docomo is doing on the
technical side to deal with spam, but I doubt we're likely to find out,
for the very reason that this is very useful information to spammers. I
suspect they could be doing a fair amount more, and I'm familiar with a
lot of people in the anti-spam world that could help them out quite a
lot, if they've got a smart, English-speaking technician they want to
put on the job. But given that they're a large Japanese company, I don't
except they are ever going to make something like that happen.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs_at_cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.NetBSD.org