(keitai-l) Re: AW: port of i-mode to other cultures

From: Steve Oldmeadow <steve_at_smoco.com>
Date: 11/05/03
On 4 Nov 2003 at 15:29, Nick May wrote:

> 1) You  are  asuming  that  internet in  households   is representative
>   of  internet  use. But  many  people  get  it  at  there  employers,
> university and  so  on. Do  you  have  figures  for  internet  USE?
> (Many  young  Japanese  do  not  spend  much  time  at  "home").

All the stats are here: http://www.stat.go.jp/english/data/it/
, my interpretation of the figures were that those figures were the percentage of the
population using the Internet, not necessarily using it at home.

> 2) before  we  can  judge  whether  it  is  high  or  not, we  need  to
>   see  comparative  figures  from  other  countries.

The figure you need to compare it to is current statistics as the point originally
raised by Bill was referring to i-mode taking off in other cultures now.  Even
compared to current day usage in Japan I would say the figure wasn't high, you are
going from around 1 in 5 people using the Internet to more than 1 in 2 now.  The
statistic for % of households using the Internet is even more telling going from
19.1% of households in 1999 to 81.4% in 2002.

Steve Oldmeadow