(keitai-l) Re: j-Phone new W-CDMA global roaming handset

From: Eric Bossieux <eric_at_tti-jpn.com>
Date: 11/25/03
Hello,

Sorry to be behind on the thread here. Had to take care of business first but the three-day weekend was nice. Hope everyone else had a relaxing time.

 At 3:09 pm +0900 on 20/11/03 Gehard  Fasol wrote:

>  there will never be a single ideal solution for the
>  roaming issue.

But, I'm a hopeless optimist and I believe that something will come about.

>  It's a dream to have a single solution but there will
>  never be a single solution for everyone,
>  because the carriers need to differentiate
>  each other, and there will always be local differentations,
>  such as Japanese characters, or intellectual property
>  right management issues etc. etc etc etc

I would agree in principle but what is about international roaming agreements that make them so difficult and complex for carriers and expensive for consumers. You would assume that two different operators yet having the same technical standards would be able to come up with something a lot easier and less expensive than the current agreements.

Perhaps this could be the start of a new topic. I know next to nothing about them and would be interested in hearing from the operators about international roaming agreements and what hoops they have to jump through in order to implement them. Or perhaps there's a web link on all you wanted to know about international roaming but were afraid to ask.

>  I think it's actually much better to have such
>  variety!

Again, I would agree in principle but I sometimes miss the days of "Ma Bell" and her monopolistics ways. <grin>

Anway, I'll continue looking for the ideal situation for those people who tend to travel a lot and need a universal number.

cheers,

---eric
--
Eric Bossieux     eric@tti-jpn.com