(keitai-l) Three Motorola A385 3g first impressions

From: Giovanni Bertani <giovanni.bertani_at_exsense.com>
Date: 12/05/03
I still have to see a full review of this phone so
after using for a while the new Motorola A 385 from Three
here are my first impressions:

Voice calls
Huge improvements over the Nec 606. Calls dropping is very limited and
voice quality is in line with current generation 2.5g phones.

Software and UI
Much faster and generally hugely better usable than the Nec 606. PIM
features
with a complete  calendar and contacts are satisfying for a business
user.
Media handling applications are quiet basic but working very well.
Video calls and video content have a much improved frame rate and
quality playback, very impressive.
The browser is very fast and complete with a progress bar for every
download making the Three mobile portal well usable, the only
bad think is that is not compatible with normal internet web sites.
To make full use of the 3g bandwidth I would like to have something
more flexible (Applications support) like the series 60 from Nokia.

Bluetooth
Works well between phones for content and contacts exchange.
Data connection is good. On my PowerBook G4 I can receive photos,
movies and cards but I have been not able to install java applications
or send photographs from the computer to the phone. I wonder
if the receive from-PC by bluetooth feature has been disabled
by Three or if it is just a compatibility issue.

Camera
In line with others vga resolution camera handsets.  Quality is similar
to the Nokia 7650. Video capture still a little bit choppy in lower
light
conditions.

Display
One of the best display around, good resolution, very good colors and
contrasts,
efficient illumination makes browsing and watching video a pleasure.

Size and weight
More in line with a cordless home phone than a keitai. Still manageable
and acceptable if you think that this phone is included with your
contract
and will be replaced during 2004.

Battery life
Still not sufficient,  one day average business use. In the package
a second battery is included to provide extra power when the first
leaves you. This is really the limit of current generation 3G phones.

(How is the battery in the last FOMA phones?)

Bottom line
Battery, size and weight are the real limits. But if you experience
3g download speeds you fell that this is the future without
any doubts.

If you need 3g data speed is better to get the phone  with a contract
and have it replaced  when the second generation 3g phones will hit
the market. Owning a 3G phone is not yet worth the investment.

Giovanni