(keitai-l) Re: chaku-melo vs. chaku-uta

From: Jeffrey L. Funk <funk_at_iir.hit-u.ac.jp>
Date: 01/26/04
You're right. I confused the device (i-pod) with the service (i-tunes) and
should have kept them separate. As long as the downloads are made onto PCs,
i-tunes will probably be able to sell songs even if they are played on
phones. My real point was that the increasing memory capacity of phones and
their much higher diffusion rate than i-pod type devices will likely cause
phones to become the main device for music listening in Japan within a few
years. On the other had, if music downloads become cheap enough, then the
operators may work directly with music companies and intermediaries like
i-tunes may be pushed to the side.
cheers,
jeff funk