(keitai-l) Re: optimized service for mobile phones

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 03/29/04
On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Ken Chang wrote:

> (2) cost
> as I said before, it's piece of cake to write HDML pages.

Not compared to writing CHTML pages, especially when they're pretty darn
similar to HTML pages you already have. Just getting the specs was a PITA.

> ...the problem was CGI, which is way more complex and
> people often modify free HTML CGI's to generate C-HTML pages.

I think you're being very naive. The site I was working on in 2000
didn't use a single CGI; it was tens of thousands of lines of Java code.
The modifications to our existing HTML generation code (which included
some fairly complex internationalization features) for CHTML was fairly
trivial. We never did get HDML working satisfactorially, even though we
put a lot more work into it, because the model is just different. You can't
have the same page flows as you have with your HTML pages.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs_at_cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.NetBSD.org